Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Light, low-fat, and delicious
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 bunch scallion, white & light-green parts,finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons lightly-salted butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups kale, finely shredded (or other dark leafy green)
- In a large pot, combine potatoes and lightly salted water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and then cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine milk, scallions& kale.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Transfer potatoes to large bowl.
- Add butter and mash with potato masher until smooth.
- gradually stir in hot milk mixture until combined.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- If desired, add 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves with salt& pepper!
Easy peasy and delicious. Crunchy kale in mashed potatoes, I loved it!
I took other reviewers advice and made this recipe by using 1 cup of milk, boiling 4 cloves of garlic with the potatoes and mashing them up altogether. This dish was AMAZING!!!! It's such a smart way to add veggies and crunchiness into mashed potatoes. I think I am never gonna make it without the dark leaf greens from now on. Thanks so much for the recipe!
This was the perfect recipe for the organic beet greens, garlic whistles and Egyptian walking onions I purchased at the farmers' market today and I'm happy I found both the Egyptian walking onions and this recipe. Easy directions and equally simple to prepare. You could take this recipe so many different routes. Reviewed for ZWT 2009.