This is the perfect side dish for roast chicken, shrimp scampi, or a nice roast (it works so well with pork AND beef!). If used with beef, substitute the chicken broth/bulion cubes for beef flavored ones, and pork bulion for pork. Also, if you don't have the 16-oz can of chicken broth on hand, you can substitute or 2 cups hot water with 6 (flavored to match the meat you're serving) bulion cubes melted within.
- 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gumbo file or 6 sassafras leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a medium-sized sauce pan that has a lid.
- Add the rosemary, garlic, and red pepper.
- Then cook the green onions and parsley until soft- 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, and salt, and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and let rice cook on low heat until liquid is absorbed- 15-17 minutes.
- Add one cup of HOT water, add the gumbo filé [or sassafras leaves] and continue to cook until rice is done.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and serve hot.