Recipe by Pagan
This is another one which is based on the Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery [1970's Edition] recipe, but has been altered to suit our own tastes. It is not hot in the least bit. To add the spicy flavor, add in 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweet marjoram or 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, drain, and dry the rice thoroughly. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and cook the rice, stirring constantly, until it is a golden brown.
- Add the onion, pepper, and garlic, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a casserole. Heat the tomatoes with the seasonings in frying pan and pour over the rice, mixing well in the casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Do NOT stir while baking!
- If the liquid cooks away before the rice is tender, add a few teaspoons of hot water to moisten. There should be no excessive liquid.