Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray/Elsa Scuderi (Rachael's mom). Great with Elsa's Spaghetti. Serve with cheesy bread to soak up the sauce.
- 1133.98 g Italian sausage, mixture of hot & sweet varieties
- 73.94 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, 3 thinly sliced, 1 cracked from skin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 59.14 ml tomato sauce, thinned out with 1/4 cup water
- salt & pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place sausage on a baking sheet and liberally drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Approx 2 tablespoons
- Place in hot oven and roast until casings are crisp and juices run clear, somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sausages rest.
- While sausages roast, heat a skillet over medium heat with 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and sliced garlic.
- Simmer garlic in olive oil 2 to 3 minutes then add peppers and onions. Turn the heat up a notch and cook until the vegetables are tender but the peppers still hold strong color, 5-6 minutes.
- Add thinned tomato sauce, salt and pepper and reduce.
- turn heat back to low and hold the veggies until the sausage comes out of the oven.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This was a yummy recipe! I cut the amount of sausage WAY down since there were only 2 adults eating this and ended up using about 1.5 pounds of hot italian sausage. I increased the garlic by double and subbed marinara that I had pre-made in place of the tomato sauce. I had a little bit of trouble with smoke in my oven from the olive oil. Maybe I put too much? Flavor was great...ended up serving on rolls with provolone over the top and melting it a bit. VERY nice! Made for Pac Fall 2008!