Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cherry and cream cheese-stuffed French toast makes an elegant addition to any holiday brunch.
- 1 loaf unsliced egg bread, such as challah or 1 loaf other firm bread
- 295.73 ml pitted tart red cherries, drained (canned or frozen)
- 170.09 g cream cheese or 170.09 g mascarpone cheese, softened
- 59.14 ml whipping cream
- 29.58 ml sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 6 beaten eggs
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79-29.58 ml butter or 14.79-29.58 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml maple syrup
- 59.14 ml clover honey
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans, toasted
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml butter (optional) or 29.58 ml margarine (optional)
- grains salt (a few)
- apple, sliced into thin wedges (optional)
- 1 sprig mint (optional)
- FRENCH TOAST:.
- Trim ends from the loaf of bread and cut the bread into six 1-1/2" thick slices.
- To make a pocket in each slice, beginning at the top, cut lengthwise in half to within 1" of the bottom.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat 3/4 cup of cherries, cream cheese or mascarpone, whipping cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- If you like, with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the mixture into pocket of each slice of bread.
- Gently press pieces of bread together, distributing filling evenly inside pocket.
- Combine eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- Dip bread into egg mixture to coat all sides.
- On a griddle or in a skillet, cook bread in hot butter or margarine over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Add more butter or margarine, if needed.
- Remove from heat and cut French toast in half diagonally, forming two triangles.
- Place three triangles for each serving on warm plates.
- Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and remaining cherries.
- MAPLE-PECAN SYRUP:.
- Melt butter or margarine, add nuts; brown lightly: remove nuts.
- Add maple syrup, honey, cinnamon and salt to butter in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans and cinnamon.
- Let cool; mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Serve the french toast with warm syrup and slices of apple on to, or with powdered sugar.
- *If you choose you can sub any kind of fruit.