Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 2 cups diced trimmed mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Brown sausage in a skillet, about 8 minutes; transfer to colander or sieve to drain off fat; set aside.
- Add oil to skillet; heat over medium heat; stir/saute onion, red pepper, and mushrooms, stirring often until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Add in garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add in the sausage; season with salt and pepper; keep warm on low heat.
- Beat the eggs and cheese in a large serving bowl; set aside.
- Cook the elbows in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Immediately add hot elbows, sausage mixture, and parsley to beaten eggs; stir slowly until blended and creamy (the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs enough).
- Serve with extra cheese to sprinkle on each serving.