Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was originally a 5 Factor recipe that my husband and I spruced up. It is intensely hot (we both cry like babies when we eat it).
- 4 large poblano peppers (also called pasillas in some parts of the country)
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch sugar substitute (I use Splenda)
- cooking spray
- 4 -5 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Cholula Hot Sauce Original)
- salt and pepper
- part-skim mozzarella shredded cheese
- French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick (2 slices per person)
- pickled jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Preheat oven to Broil.
- Place poblanos on baking sheet and put under broiler. **YOU WILL HAVE TO WATCH THESE** Keep the door cracked and don't walk away. Rotate the poblanos every couple of seconds, until they are evenly blackened (the goal is to evenly blacken the skin without burning the meat of the pepper).
- As soon as the poblanos are blackened, wrap them in a towel, and set aside on a plate until they have cooled.
- Peel the skin off. **It helps if you do this under running water.
- Cut off the tops and remove the seeds. Cut poblanos into strips.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray. Cook ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Add black beans, tomato paste, cumin, Splenda, salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed.
- Add in poblanos, Cholula, rice and 1/4 cup cheese. Stir well.
- Place on top of bread slices (a la open faced sandwich).
- Top with jalapenos to taste, and a hefty handful of cheese.
- Microwave until the cheese has melted.