Prep 2 hrs
Cook 55 mins
Another recipe from my mom's canning collection. When your garden is in, this is a nice way to use up all those fresh vegetables.
- 2 quarts peeled cored chopped green tomatoes
- 1 quart peeled cored chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 quart coarsely chopped cabbage
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 2 quarts vinegar
- 4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Add the first 8 ingredients to a very large bowl; gently stir to combine.
- Add pickling salt; stir to combine.
- Cover and let sit in a cool place for 12-18 hours; drain well and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a 10-quart stock pot; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable mixture; simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Immediately ladle relish into hot sterilized jars; leave 1/4 inch headspace.
- Cover with lids and make sure bands are screwed on tightly.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Let cool.