1/5 Photos of Egyptian Macaroni Bechamel
1 hr 20 mins
This is an Egyptian favorite. A ground meat mixture between two layers of macaroni smothered in a creamy bachamel sauce. You can use any type of pasta you like. The most common are Penne (which is my favorite) angel hair, spaghetti or elbow macaroni. I have a glass dish that is 8x11 and I prefer to bake in this dish because I like it to be a little thick, but if you like it to be a little thinner than that you can opt for the larger 9x13.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 dash parmesan cheese (optional)
- 8 cups cold milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 beaten eggs
- white pepper
- black pepper
- 1Prepare pasta according to directions on the box.
- 2Saute the onion in a little oil over med high heat until soft. Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- 3Add the ground beef and brown.
- 4Drain off the fat, return to the stove and add the parsley, thyme, and cinnamon until combined.
- 5Stir in the can of tomato sauce and simmer over low heat about 10 minutes.
- 6Remove from the heat and let it cool. Once it has cooled stir in the beaten egg. Set aside.
- 7TO MAKE THE BACHAMEL SAUCE: In a large saucepan over med-high heat melt the butter. Once melted whisk in the flour until smooth. Keep whisking for 2 minute.
- 8Now whisk in the milk slowly until all the milk has been added. Keep whisking making sure there are no lumps in it. Add the salt and white and black peppers to your taste.
- 9Whisk pretty continuously until the milk is almost boiling, but not quite. Now whisk in the thyme and nutmeg (if you want it). The sauce should now be fairly thick.
- 10Quickly whisk in the beaten eggs. Remove from heat.
- 11TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH: Mix half the bachamel mixture into the pasta.
- 12Put half the pasta covered with the sauce into a 9x13 baking dish.
- 13Now layer the entire meat mixture over the pasta. You can top with a sprinkling on Parmesan cheese if you like.
- 14Now add the rest of the Pasta to form the top layer.
- 15Finally, pour and spread the remaining bachamel sauce over the top of the last layer.
- 16Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for 45-60 min or until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Egyptian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Macaroni Bechamel
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1485.9
- Calories from Fat 678
- Total Fat 75.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.9 g
- Cholesterol 407.8 mg
- Sodium 899.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 74.0 g