Recipe by cooking in cairo...
This is AMAZING! Very popular, SIMPLE dish made in Egyptian households. Once you make it, it will become a favorite for sure. The key is in the onion's consistency once they cook down to the delicious thick sauce. Anyway enjoy, serve with rice or your favorite pasta. Enjoy!
- 1 lb stewing beef (you can cut each piece in half if you want)
- 4 onions (sliced super thin)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or oil of your choice, but NOT olive oil for this)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the meat well. Put into a saucepan with butter and oil. Cook until all beef lightly browned.
- Add all sliced onions, bouillon cubes, salt and pepper, bay leaf and stir around cooking on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add water, approximately 1-1/2 cups, turn to low, cover and cook for 2 hours or more.
- Check during cooking, add more water if too dry. But the onions should give enough liquid with initial water you added.
- When finished you should have super tender beef with a thick oniony sauce. The onions will have cooked down to a thick rich sauce.
- Serve with rice, pita bread or your favorite pasta, yes pasta; makes a great, different sauce really.