Recipe by BecR
Everyone loves this, even die-hard eggplant haters! A great veggie meal unto itself, -or- would make a lovely accompaniment to grilled or rotisserie chicken. From 'Rome, At Home' by Suzanne Dunaway.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (then cut in half or into thirds, lengthwise)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, and
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 -4 fresh basil sprigs, 1 leaf from, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay the eggplant strips on a large plate or flat surface and sprinkle with salt. When droplets of water appear, after about 5 to 10 minutes, blot the strips and turn them over, repeating the process.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, dip the blotted eggplant strips in the flour mixture, and saute over medium heat until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and add the basil leaves and pine nuts. Cook together for a few minutes more and serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano.