2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 35 mins
From Restaurant: Impossible, Episode: Villari's, this looks so good! It uses goat cheese instead of the usual mozzarella. Putting here for safekeeping. You can use the marinara sauce recipe posted here, or use one of your choice, even store bought.If using the recipe here, it does need to cook one hour, so might want to plan accordingly.
My Private Note
2 for e ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch planks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups vegetable oil (you can fry in a skillet with just 1/4 cup oil, turning halfway through)
- 1 cup egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4-1 cup goat cheese, divided
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 quart pasta sauce (tomato sauce, pasta or spaghetti-your choice)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, thinly sliced (or minced)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 1/4 cup roughly fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Place the sliced eggplant in a shallow pan with the buttermilk and marinate for 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F.
- 3Beat the eggs and milk together to make an egg wash. Once the oil is to temperature, dredge the eggplant in the flour, tap off any excess, and then coat with the prepared egg wash. Slip gently into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes(or fry in skillet in 1/4 cup oil or less, turning halfway-2 to 3 minutes each side). Flip and continue to cook the other side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. After frying, remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat the process until all the eggplant has been fried.
- 4Lay the eggplant flat and apply about 1 tablespoon goat cheese to the bottom short edge of the eggplant. Top the goat cheese with 1 basil leaf and roll the eggplant from bottom to top, ensuring the goat cheese and basil stays in the middle of the roll. Place the rolls in a baking dish.
- 5Top the rolls with Marinara Sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan, and bake until the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
- 6For the marinara sauce:.
- 7In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the oil and heat very hot, to the verge of smoking. Add the onions and celery and cook until the onions are translucent. Deglaze the pan with the wine, stir and scrape up any bits, and then add the red sauce and garlic. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 8Add the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, oregano, basil, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Cannelloni-Robert Irvine
Serving Size: 1 (899 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1979.1
- Calories from Fat 1536
- Total Fat 170.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 179.4 mg
- Sodium 1493.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: