Recipe by carolinafan
I never really cared for eggplant until I tried this great side dish. Prepared in microwave so it is great when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- nonstick olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into thin crosswise slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half then lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 medium summer squash, cut in half then lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion and garlic in medium microwavable bowl. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Microwave on High 1 minute.
- Add ricotta, pimientos, Parmesan, milk, marjoram, tarragon, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Spray 9- or 10-inch round microwavable baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of dish.
- Layer half of eggplant, zucchini and summer squash in dish, top with ricotta mixture. Layer remaining eggplant, zucchini and summer squash over ricotta mixture. Top with remaining 2/3 cup spaghetti sauce.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High 17 to 19 minutes or until vegetables are tender, rotating dish every 6 minutes.
- Top with mozzarella cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.