Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Miss Annie inspired me to make this. This is similar to her, "Okra Patties", except that I'm using eggplant and an ingredient or two more. Very tasty and a different way to prepare eggplant than the usual cassarole or breaded and fried eggplant. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno, finely chopped and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (may substitute chili powder for an extra flare)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup oil (for frying)
- Combine eggplant, onion, salt, pepper, water, egg and jalepeno. Mix well.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cornmeal and add to eggplant mixture, mixing well.
- Heat oil to medium-high. Drop heaping spoonfulls of eggplant mixture into hot oil. Spread out like a pancake and cook until golden brown.