My husband loves eggplant so I'm always on the lookout for different ways to prepare it. I found this one in a back issue of Southern Living magazine and he went wild over it. I only changed it slightly....with a dash of Tabasco. Prep time includes chill time.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 slices bread, toasted and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Chop peeled eggplant into bite-size pieces. Drop the pieces into a pot of water as you work to keep them from discoloring. Add extra water to cover, if necessary. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- Saute onions and bell pepper in 2 teaspoons hot vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- Pulse bread in a food processor 3-4 times or until finely crumbled to equal 3/4 cup; remove and set aside.
- Pulse eggplant, salt, garlic powder, and ground pepper in food processor 3 times or until blended.
- Stir together eggplant puree, breadcrumbs, vegetables, eggs and Tabasco until combined; chill 30 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large skillet; heat to 350°. Drop eggplant mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls in batches, into hot oil; fry 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.