1/1 Photo of Eggplant (Aubergine) Fritters
1 hr 21 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
My husband loves eggplant so I'm always on the lookout for different ways to prepare it. I found this one in a back issue of Southern Living magazine and he went wild over it. I only changed it slightly....with a dash of Tabasco. Prep time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup bell pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 slices bread, toasted and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Chop peeled eggplant into bite-size pieces. Drop the pieces into a pot of water as you work to keep them from discoloring. Add extra water to cover, if necessary. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- 2Saute onions and bell pepper in 2 teaspoons hot vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- 3Pulse bread in a food processor 3-4 times or until finely crumbled to equal 3/4 cup; remove and set aside.
- 4Pulse eggplant, salt, garlic powder, and ground pepper in food processor 3 times or until blended.
- 5Stir together eggplant puree, breadcrumbs, vegetables, eggs and Tabasco until combined; chill 30 minutes.
- 6Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large skillet; heat to 350°. Drop eggplant mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls in batches, into hot oil; fry 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (792 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.1
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 830.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g