Recipe by Pets'R'us
We really liked the subtle slight lemony flavor of the coriander brushed onto the eggplant. Grilling the eggplant was the most time consuming, you can do that that even the day before.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium eggplants (enough to line a one quart loaf tin)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ounces defrosted frozen spinach, squeezed dry as much as possible
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 -3 chopped sun-dried tomatoes (approx a full tablespoon)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- grated nutmeg, to taste
- sour cream, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the olive oil with the coriander.
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise in approx ½ inch thick slices.
- Brush only one side of the eggplant slices with the olive oil mixture, starting with the oiled side and preferably using a grill pan, sear the slices, pushing them down with a spatula, turn over and cook until they are colored and softened but still firm.
- Repeat with all the slices, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Finely chop the chicken breasts or let the food processor do this for you, it should be chopped, not a paste.
- Mix with all the other ingredients and seasonings.
- Line a one quart non-stick loaf tin with the eggplant slices, start on the bottom laying the slices lengthwise, then vertically up the sides so that you have 2 to 3 inches hanging over the sides.
- If you don't have a non-stick loaf tin, line first with parchment paper.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the loaf tin, even out and fold back the eggplant slices to cover.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm, check half way to make sure it does not get too dark, otherwise cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the tin.
- The terrine can now be transferred to the fridge until ready to serve.
- Run a knife around the tin, turn the terrine out, cut in slices and serve with some sour cream.