Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fabulous Bhaji recipe that I make :) I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 eggplant
- oil, for frying the seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black gram dal
- 2⁄3 teaspoon black mustard seeds or 2⁄3 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies, roughly chopped (alternatively, you can use green chiles)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons coconut, grated
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- First you will need to grill or roast your eggplant.
- Remove the skin, and then mash the eggplant and set aside (keep warm).
- Sometimes I keep my oven relatively warm and put the eggplant in there to keep it warm.
- Heat your oil, and add the black gram dhal, mustard seeds, chiles, and asafoetida one at a time, and allow to splutter.
- Once this occurs, pour seasoning over mashed eggplant, and season with salt and sugar.
- Add grated coconut and chopped onion, and mix together.
- SERVE & ENJOY! :).