Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Perfect for the holidays! Plan ahead as there is a lot of freezing in between layers. Freezing time is not included in prep or cook time.
- 20 gingersnaps, crushed (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pint eggnog ice cream or 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- whipped cream (for decoration)
- Crust: In a bowl, combine gingersnap crumbs and butter or margarine. Press over bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- Filling: Spoon softened ice cream over chilled crust. Smooth surface with back of a spoon. Cover with foil or plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- In a bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and rum or brandy; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat 1 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread over ice cream. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- For ease in serving: For easier slicing, remove from freezer and place in refrigerator 10 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Decorate with additional whipped cream if desired.
I made this for our Thanksgiving dinner and it was a big hit. I used vanilla frozen yogurt and cool whip in place of the whipped cream. I also added Kahlua instead of the brandy. Also added some chopped pecans to the crust. Lovely combination.