Recipe by Cat^..^atude
I came across this recipe in our local paper. A local resident perfected this over years of trial and error. Cooked eggs are used for safety. You will never buy the store bought variety again... Enjoy!!
- 4 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups light rum
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 tsp vanilla and cinnamon in a saucepan.
- Heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, comine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy.
- Wisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Now,pour this mixture into sauce pan again.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. do not allow mixture to boil.
- Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 2 tsp vanilla and nutmeg.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.