Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This is a great eggnog recipe for when you have a group of people with different ideas about how eggnog should be served, as they can always add equal parts brandy and rum to the beverage without ruining its great flavor. I have noticed that many people who say they do not care for eggnog, have only tried store bought eggnog…. This recipe by George Mahaffey , former chef of Aspen’s Little Nell Hotel, is always a holiday hit and perfect to serve after Christmas dinner. Use fresh grated nutmeg for best flavor. MAKE AHEAD: The eggnog can be refrigerated overnight. Stir before serving.
Top Review by Kamark
This is one of my very favorite homemade eggnog recipes. We halved the recipe for just two of us to enjoy over a snowy evening at home, and it was just delightful. We didn't have any heavy cream on hand when we impulsively decided to prepare this, so we substituted the cream with sweetened condensed milk, which, since it comes out of the can thickened, was an appropriate consistency, I think.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Put egg yolks in a bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and whisk over low heat until pale yellow and thick, about 5 minutes. Whisk in milk, bourbon, rum & brandy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk egg whites with remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form. Stir whites into yolk mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until just thickened.
- Fold whipped cream & nutmeg into the eggnog and chill thoroughly.
- Whisk to reblend before serving.