Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Cooking time is actually cooling time.
- 1 cup eggnog
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup quartered candied cherry (red and or green)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Combine the egg nog, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- The pan should hold at least 2 1/2 quarts to allow for boiling and beating.
- Cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (about 235 degrees) and forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water.
- At this point cool the sugar mixture to lukewarm, add the butter and begin beating; this is an important step in the recipe; if possible have someone to help with the beating because beating must be kept up until the candy loses its gloss (when it crystallizes).
- Just as the candy begins to lose its gloss, stir in the cherries and nuts and spread into a buttered pie dish.
- This must be done quickly or the candy will set in the pan.
- Cool and cut into squares.