Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like real Eggnog, try this, but hold on to your hat -- it's got lots of punch. Makes a great gift.
- 12 eggs, separated
- 2 lbs sugar
- 1 quart Bourbon
- 1 pint jamaica rum (Meyers)
- 1 pint brandy
- 1 pint milk
- 3 pints heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- In a VERY large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the sugar and egg yolks until light colored and dull. Slowly add the bourbon and rum. Stir in the milk and cream and then the brandy. Beat the egg white with 1/3 cup sugar till stiff peaks form. Stir in the whites (I use a wisk).
- Note: If you are going to bottle the eggnog you need to store in a large container and whisk it evereyday until all the egg whites are incorporated, this can take 4-5 days, and a real good excuse to sample some everyday. The egg whites keep rising to the top and makes bottling hard.
- If you are making for a party make the day before and give it a good stir before pouring in the punch bowl, top with more nutmeg if desired.
Wow! I made this as part of my holiday gift baskets I gave to people and I can't even begin to tell you the rave reviews! It did take a few days of whisking to encorporate the eggs whites, but who cares! It tastes so good! And we re-used the empty liquor bottles. Definitely use fresh nutmeg- it makes all the difference in flavor. I actually grated a whole nut into the mixture right before adding the egg whites. VERY tasty!