Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the sugar into a half-pint measuring cup.
- Fill the cup with the golden syrup.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Then, put butter into the half-pint measuring cup and fill with boiling water.
- Mix well.
- Add baking soda.
- Now, sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Mix well until you have a soft, smooth consistency.
- Pour into a square or oblong baking pan lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Baking tip: All gingerbreads collapse if disturbed too soon while baking.
- Variation: As a variation, add 1 cup mixed fruits or fruits and nuts (chopped), if desired.
I have long been searching for a recipe for eggless gingerbread and finally found it. It rose really well while baking and tasted great. One thing I did change was the amount of cinnamon (I added 1/2 teaspoon) as I wasn't too sure about that. Apart from, easy to follow and great tea bread.