Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from 'The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook' by Gloria Bley Miller at the request of a Zaar member.
- Heat stock; then stir in salt and soy sauce.
- Meanwhile blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste.
- Then stir in to thicken.
- Spoon sauce over each omelet; or serve hot in a side dish as a dip.
- In step 1, add to the stock 1/4 teaspoon sugar, a dash of pepper, and either 1 Tablespoon peanut oil or a few drops of sesame oil.
- Or add 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce (omit the salt).
- Or add 1 Tablespoon catsup and/or 2 teaspoons sherry (increase soy sauce to 1 Tablespoon).
- Omit soy sauce in step 1, and add it instead to step 2, increasing it to 1 Tablespoon and blending it with the cornstarch.
- Also blend in 1 teaspoon molasses or dark corn syrup.
- Omit the water.