Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are scrambled eggs with a Mexican twist that can be served any time of the day. They don't require baking time however; they are slipped under the broiler to melt the cheese. Sometimes I heat the tortillas briefly in the microwave before dipping in the sauce to keep them from cracking when rolling them up. Recipe is from Sunset Mexican Cook Book.
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned california green chilies
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat and sauté onion and green pepper until limp; add tomato sauce and chili powder. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs lightly with half and half; add chiles, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In another frying over medium-low heat, melt butter, add eggs and cook until set to your liking.
- Dip each tortilla in hot tomato sauce until soft and spoon 1/6 of the scrambled eggs down the center. Roll up and place seem side down in a shallow baking dish.
- Reheat remaining sauce to boiling, pour over top, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under broiler, 4 inches from heat until cheese melts (about 3 minutes).
Simple and delicious!
Easy and delicious! I used olive oil, skim milk, butter, a 4 cheese Mexican-style blend, and omitted the salt. We loved the results. Thanks for sharing!
Really good and quick to put together! Made these for Sunday brunch and used 8 corn tortillas. I never have good results softening tortillas in sauce, so next time I'll soften in hot oil before dipping in sauce. The sauce is yummy and goes well with the eggs, tomatoey and not too spicy. Would also be nice with additional chili powder. Thanks for sharing the recipe!