Recipe by Donna Matthews
This recipe, which was in our church cookbook, is my favorite beef stew that has traditional stew vegetables. The secret ingredient is the cheese.
Top Review by Stef Scu
This was my first attempt at beef stew and we really enjoyed this. I don't usually like American cheese and was little scared at how much I put in the stew. I think I used seven slices of the Kraft singles. But it turned out to be delicious. Next time I make this, I will try it with fresh cheese from the deli. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 6 -8 slices American cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut stewing beef into bite-size pieces.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths.
- Peel carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine all ingredients, except cheese, in a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 250 degrees for 5hours.
- Alternately, cook in a crockpot on low all day.
- Stir in cheese to melt just before serving.