Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Edward Lee, 610 Magnolia; in Southern Living
- 7 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cola drink
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices Texas toast thick bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 large eggs
- 8 thick slices tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- chopped fresh parsley
- Meatloaf-preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add onions and next 2 ingredients to hot drippings, and saute 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; saute 4 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and let cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Add ground chuck, next 5 ingredients, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and cooked bacon to onion mixture in bowl, and combine mixture, using hands.
- Stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup ketchup in a separate bowl.
- Transfer meat mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Brush top with ketchup mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 155° (insert in center).
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour, reserving 1 cup drippings.
- Gravy--melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in broth and meatloaf drippings.
- Decrease heat to med-low, and simmer, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp lemon juice; remove from ehat.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange Texas Toast slices on a baking sheet, and bake 8 minutes on each side or until golden; remove from oven.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Gently break 4 eggs into a hot skillet.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from skillet, and cover with foil.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 4 eggs.
- Cut meatloaf into 8 slices.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread 1 side of each toast slice with 1 1/2 tsp mayonnaise.
- Top each toast slice, mayonnaise side up, with 1 tomato slice and 1 meatloaf slice.
- Gently place 1 egg on each meatloaf slice.
- Serve with gravy; sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and freshly ground pepper.