Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got the recipe for the patty from vegsource.com, made a few changes, and had a delightful burger for lunch today! Feel free to try your own fixings, but this is how I like my burgers best! :-) Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 large potato, peeled,diced,cooked in salted water until tender
- 1⁄4 cup leftover cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 hamburger bun, split and toasted
- 2 teaspoons natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper
- ketchup (optional)
- Drain and mash the cooked potato with a fork.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed potato, rice, breadcrumbs, onion, soy sauce, corriander and red chili powder.
- Season with salt and pepper and knead well until the mixture holds together.
- If the mixture is too dry, add a little water to hold it together; usually you won't need to do this.
- Shape the mixture to form a thin patty and grill in an oven for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- While the patty is being grilled, spread 1 teaspoon each of peanut butter over the 2 bun halves.
- Cover the bottom of the lower bun half with some of the tomato slices and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the patty is done, place it over the lower bun half, top with the remaining tomato slices, and cover with the other bun half.
- Serve with ketchup, if desired.
I used to think I put the whole nine yards on my veggie burgers, but here Anu adds peanut butter…anyhow, I tried this, staying on recipe (sans peanut butter). It is ok, not as much taste as frozen, commercial, veggie burgers. Perhaps some beans or chickpeas, or commercial falafel mix in place of bread?? However, this demonstrated to me there is something satisfying about making ones own. A good place to start ones own personal veggie burger formula is this recipe. As I write this thinking about it, I suppose the peanut butter is a good idea, nutrition wise…next time.
Anu my lovely friend! I enjoyed this for dinner tonight, infact, I wish I had made it the day you posted it(my Birthday)!:) Its so easy to make, and so tasty too. I used just 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in the mixture and neither of the two on the buns. I really LOVE this recipe and I would recommend it to the whole world!:) Thanks, Anu! I love you for this one!!