Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is fast and simple to make, and it is so good. Also all ingredients may be doubled for a larger casserole.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Line the bottom of a greased baking dish with 6 slices of bread (I use an 11" x 7" baking dish, just squeeze them in together, or cut to fit in baking dish), set 6 slices of bread aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the tuna, chopped onion, celery (if using) and mayo.
- Spread the mixture on the bread in the baking dish.
- Place the remaining bread slices on top of the tuna mixture.
- Place the slices of cheese over the bread.
- Mix together the undiluted soup and the half and half.
- Pour over the cheese slices, spreading with the back of a spoon to coat evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Note: if desired, grated cheese may be sprinkled on the last 10 minutes of baking.
This was great! I also used 3 cans of tuna and velveeta cheese. It was very simple to make also.
This was great! I made this for supper tonight using 12 grain bread, 3 cans of tuna and Velveeta cheese as I was out of cheese slices and didn't know it until I went to make the casserole. I did put it in a 9x13 pan and still had to cut the bread to fit as the slices were rather wide. The only thing that my son said it needed was more onion! I may cut back on the mayo by a tablespoon or two and add a little dill relish the next time I make it as the tuna salad needed just a little more zip for our tastes! I appreciate recipes that I can put together in a hurry when we have something going on in the evening. This is definitely a keeper and I am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!
This is just what I thought it would be-tasty! I used 3 cans of tuna and American cheese. It was easy to make to. I think toasting the bread is a crucial step. it would be pretty soggy if you didn't.