Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is fast and simple to make, and it is so good. Also all ingredients may be doubled for a larger casserole.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Line the bottom of a greased baking dish with 6 slices of bread (I use an 11" x 7" baking dish, just squeeze them in together, or cut to fit in baking dish), set 6 slices of bread aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the tuna, chopped onion, celery (if using) and mayo.
- Spread the mixture on the bread in the baking dish.
- Place the remaining bread slices on top of the tuna mixture.
- Place the slices of cheese over the bread.
- Mix together the undiluted soup and the half and half.
- Pour over the cheese slices, spreading with the back of a spoon to coat evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Note: if desired, grated cheese may be sprinkled on the last 10 minutes of baking.
This was great! I also used 3 cans of tuna and velveeta cheese. It was very simple to make also.
This was great! I made this for supper tonight using 12 grain bread, 3 cans of tuna and Velveeta cheese as I was out of cheese slices and didn't know it until I went to make the casserole. I did put it in a 9x13 pan and still had to cut the bread to fit as the slices were rather wide. The only thing that my son said it needed was more onion! I may cut back on the mayo by a tablespoon or two and add a little dill relish the next time I make it as the tuna salad needed just a little more zip for our tastes! I appreciate recipes that I can put together in a hurry when we have something going on in the evening. This is definitely a keeper and I am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!
This is just what I thought it would be-tasty! I used 3 cans of tuna and American cheese. It was easy to make to. I think toasting the bread is a crucial step. it would be pretty soggy if you didn't.