Recipe by kmknight2
This tofu recipe is idiot-proof and delicious. Your friends who swear they do not eat tofu will be begging you for more. They key to tofu is draining it well, so I've provided instructions for that. I use this tofu for everything; to top salads, thrown in stir-fry, in sandwiches, even in soups. It should be the consistency of well-cooked scrambled-eggs when done. The prep-time does not include draining time.
Top Review by b. limon
Nice simple recipe. I didn't have curry paste, so I improvised with lots of curry powder and added garlic. The tofu takes on more of an eggy texture if you freeze it first, then thaw it (microwave works) so that the whey is released. I hope this is still a valid review- I was in a hurry so I browned the tofu and then stir-fried it with some green beans and the sauce. It was actually good served over noodles! :)
- 15 ounces extra firm tofu, water packed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red curry paste (or more if you like spicy)
Directions See How It's Made
- To drain tofu: Cut tofu into thirds to yield three 1/2 inch thick flat rectangles. Place rectangles side-by-side between several layers of paper-towels or dish-towels and cover with a cookie-sheet or anything else flat. Place weight on the top (a soup-pot filled with water works well). Leave it for at least half an hour. The longer you leave it the drier it will be and the less time it will take to cook. Two hours is probably a little excessive.
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, and curry paste (use a fork or back of a spoon to mix paste in). Once Tofu is drained, crumble it into bowl with your hands, and mix with a fork till all pieces are covered. Don't worry of the pieces are different sizes. Leave it while you preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread Tofu in the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 Pyrex pan or foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 - 30 minutes (time changes depending on how long it was drained), stirring at least once in the middle. When it's tosty and golden-brown all over it's done.