Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
We had this curry for dinner last night and it was delish. Although not traditional, we served it with basmati rice - which we enjoyed & recommend.
- 1 kg chicken drumstick
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste (you could make your own if you were keen, but we just use a commercial type (Maesri! Brand Green C)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (fresh, whole, bruised with side of knife)
- 6 -8 kaffir lime leaves (fresh preferable, but dried OK)
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup palm sugar (raw sugar or brown sugar can be used as a substitute)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup summer squash (chopped into bite-sized cubes)
- In a pan, sauté curry paste for a minute or two in oil.
- Put in chicken legs and toss in curry/oil mixture.
- When fragrant, add all other ingredients except squash.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with lid, cooking for about 45 minutes.
- Add the squash pieces, and cook with the lid off for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (more fish sauce or palm sugar) as necessary.
- Remove lemongrass stalk and kaffir lime leaves.
- Serve with freshly steamed rice (we used basmati, however jasmine would be more authentic).
This was a very good curry, fragrant and flavoursome, very easy and reasonably quick to assemble, so suitable for a mid-week supper. I used chicken thighs, and otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The squash is very good in the coconut milk, it adds colour and goes beautifully with the chicken. I made this for PAC Spring 2008, and recommend it thoroughly!