Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Quick, easy, make with left overs. Modify your seasonings to your taste. Worchestirshire sauce can be substituted for the soy sauce. This was just an experiment that has become a regular on our dinner menu.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped button mushroom
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup prepared breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Cut the tops of the poppers and remove the seeds and membrane.
- Precook the peppers in boiling salted water for about 1 minute and drain on paper towels. If you like firmer peppers, cool in icebath or omit precooking.
- Meanwhile, lightly brown onions, mushrooms, and add the ground beef. Stuffing will continue to cook with the rice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain grease.
- Add tomato sauce, uncooked rice, oragano, basil, and soy sauce.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender; about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in bread crumbs.Rice will continue to cook in oven.
- Stuff peppers and stand upright in baking dish.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese on each stuffed pepper.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Add bell pepper tops last 10 minutes of cooking to avoid burning the stuffing.