Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy and comforting - great for a rainy day. This has a nice thick and creamy texture. Soya milk can be substituted for dairy milk/cream; vegetable stock can be substituted for chicken stock or whatever.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped finely)
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 500 ml vegetable stock (yeast extract stock is fine, but stock cubes are better!)
- 3⁄4 cup soya milk
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in large pot - at medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Fry until onion begins to turn brown.
- Add the squash, sugar, spices and stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Liquidise until completely smooth. Return to pot.
- Stir in soya milk.
- Heat, uncovered, for 2 or 3 minutes to warm and reduce slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper.