Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are not a garlic-lover then you may omit, I like to add in a pinch or so of cayenne pepper also, for best flavor use a sharp cheddar cheese for this such as Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese and for a main meal add in 2 cups chopped cooked ham or cooked chicken.
Top Review by Roxanne J.R.
I really enjoyed this recipe I used fresh minced garlic and sauteed some onions instead of using powder .The mac n' cheese turned out very tasty and delicious. I also used twists instead of elbows and it made a nice side dish. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 (8 ounce) packageuncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 1 cup each) or 2 cups milk (or use 1 cup each)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (10 ounce) blocks sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until al dente (do not cook until very soft) drain, then place into a bowl.
- Place the milk, flour, onion salt and garlic powder in a 1-quart jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously for 1 minute; pour the mixture over the macaroni and add in 3-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; mix thoroughly to combine, then spread into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs then remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden brown.