Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you are not a garlic-lover then you may omit, I like to add in a pinch or so of cayenne pepper also, for best flavor use a sharp cheddar cheese for this such as Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese and for a main meal add in 2 cups chopped cooked ham or cooked chicken.
- 1 (8 ounce) packageuncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 1 cup each) or 2 cups milk (or use 1 cup each)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (10 ounce) blocks sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until al dente (do not cook until very soft) drain, then place into a bowl.
- Place the milk, flour, onion salt and garlic powder in a 1-quart jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously for 1 minute; pour the mixture over the macaroni and add in 3-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; mix thoroughly to combine, then spread into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs then remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
I really enjoyed this recipe I used fresh minced garlic and sauteed some onions instead of using powder .The mac n' cheese turned out very tasty and delicious. I also used twists instead of elbows and it made a nice side dish. Thanks for sharing.
My youngest DS asked for mac and cheese and we knew you would have something good to offer! Oh my goodness, is this delicious!!! Very easy and quick to put together. I thought that it looked like an awful lot of milk, but it turned out great! I used rotini instead of macaroni. Thanks Kittencal! :)
Great recipe. Very easy to prepare. I used sharp white cheese instead od reular cheddar. I'm sure either cheese is great, I just prefer the white. Thanks for a great recipe. sandy