Recipe by Deb's Recipes
These yummy refritos are made from canned red beans for quickness and convenience. I think they are a BIG step up from regular refried beans out of a can!
Top Review by Sarah
My first try at making refried beans and certainly something I would make again. I think I would use a little more spice next time as it seemed a little bland for my taste, but this may have been due to the lack of bacon grease - I used oil instead. Definitely nice to make your own and not rely on those things in cans :-) Thanks for a great recipe Deb.
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small finely chopped seeded jalapeno
- 2 (15 ounce) canssmall red beans, one partially drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 2 drops liquid smoke (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt bacon grease in a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add onions and jalapeno; cook and stir until tender; add beans a half-can at a time, stirring to incorporate; add seasonings to taste.
- Cook beans, stirring frequently with wooden spoon and mashing them (use the back of the wooden spoon or even a potato masher) as you go, for 15-20 minutes until liquid evaporates and beans thicken; top with cheese and serve.
- NOTE: If you like your refritos especially smooth, run them through the blender or food processor before cooking.