2 hrs 40 mins
You can bet that this cake will be the center of attention on your BBQ, picnic, or any 4th of July! This cake, from Good Housekeeping is a little long on Directions, but to make up for it,a little surprise: It starts with a cake mix and ends with purchased frosting! There are some things that you can get at any cake decorating or craft stores. Once you get all, of your ingredients in front of you, it goes quicker. My neighbor and I made one together 3 days ago. It doesn't last long! No one wanted to cut into it! Take a look at this cake: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/easy-quilt-cake-ghk
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1Special Equipment required*.
- 23 decorating bags.*.
- 33 couplers*.
- 41 small smooth basket-weave tip (1/4-inch opening)*.
- 51 small writing tip (1/16-inch opening).*.
- 61 medium writing tip (1/4-inch opening).*.
- 71 medium star-shaped cookie cutter (about 2 1/4* inches).
- 81 small star-shaped cookie cutter (about 1 1/4 inches*).
- 91.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13" by 9" metal baking pan.
- 102.Prepare cake mixes as labels direct, using 1 large bowl. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake cake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
- 113.Meanwhile, prepare candy clay:.
- 12In 2-cup glass measure or small microwave-safe bowl, microwave candy melts on Medium (50 percent power) 1 minute; stir. Microwave 10 seconds longer; stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup until blended. Transfer half of candy clay to sheet of waxed paper. Knead blue food-color paste into candy clay in bowl to tint royal blue; transfer to another sheet of waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, to dry while decorating cake.
- 134.Tint 1 cup frosting bright red; spoon into decorating bag fitted with coupler and basket-weave tip. Tint 1/2 cup frosting royal blue; spoon into another decorating bag fitted with coupler. Spoon 1/2 cup white frosting into another decorating bag fitted with coupler. Place each decorating bag in a plastic bag until ready to use, to prevent frosting from drying out. Reserve remaining white frosting.
- 145.Place cake on tray with long side facing you. With toothpick, score grid of 9 rectangles (about 4" by 2 3/4" each) on top of cake. Spread reserved white frosting on sides of cake.6.Pipe red frosting in horizontal rows to cover upper left rectangle. Repeat to cover alternating rectangles (5 rectangles in all). Remove basket-weave tip from bag of red frosting; wash and dry. Attach tip to bag with blue frosting; use to pipe horizontal rows to cover remaining 4 rectangles. Remove basket-weave tip; wash and dry. Attach tip to bag with white frosting; use to pipe 6 horizontal stripes on top of each rectangle with red frosting, leaving a red stripe at top and bottom of rectangle.
- 157.Remove basket-weave tip from bag of white frosting and attach small writing tip. Use to pipe thin stitching lines between rectangles and around top edge of cake. Attach medium writing tip to bag with red frosting; use to pipe a row of 1/4-inch beads around bottom edge of cake.
- 168.Roll white candy clay between 2 sheets waxed paper (very lightly dusted with cornstarch to prevent sticking) to 1/8-inch thickness. With medium star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 4 stars. Roll blue candy clay as above. With small star-shaped cutter, cut out 20 stars. If stars are too soft to handle, set aside at room temperature to firm slightly.
- 179.Place a white star in center of each blue rectangle. Place blue stars along sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Quilt Cake ( 4th of July Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.5
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 36.4 mg
- Sodium 90.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 29.5 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
blue food coloring