Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
The kids love this! Got this recipe from the Oregon Nutrition Education Program. The kids all sampled it and said it was delicious. Super simple and inexpensive to make.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- Cool Whip (for topping) (optional)
- graham cracker crust (for pie) (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Beat with wire whisk or spoon for 30 seconds.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, then serve or use for pie filling.
- Top with Cool Whip at serving time.
I really like the intense pumpkin flavor that isnt diluted by other ingredients. I dont know what happened but it didnt set up well despite the pudding which I expected to make it firmer. I like not using evap milk which is why I chose this recipe. Overall it's a good recipe but I need to figure out how to get it to be firmer.
I think this has to be the fastest, easiest desert I've made in ages. The best thing about it is the near-instant gratification. It's great if you need dessert in a hurry. I made it just as a pudding and I used soymilk. I did like this the first time I made it, but I've noticed that for some some reason using soymilk (which I've used in all recipes without problems) results in a very runny pudding. It never thickens. I wonder why. So, hmmm. I think this is a good recipe, it just doesn't work for me because I don't consume milk.
Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Very easy to make.