Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an elegant dessert with a fluffy meringue that's filled with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Recipe found on the internet and was submitted by Rosina. Posting for ZWT 8.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Overbeaten egg whites lose volumn and deflate when folded into other ingredients. Be absolutely sure not a particle of grease or egg yolk gets into the whites. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form (add sugar if desired); set aside. Remove the paper and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream. Top whipped cream with kiwi fruit slices.
A huge hit! I made it for the first time and it came out beautifully, I served it to someone who had had my mums pavlova and an 84 year old who never had heard of it and they both loved it. Topped with sliced strawberries.