Recipe by Chefcrystal
Kid-Friendly Chili Recipe...no hunks of tomatos, onions, or peppers. Just a smooth belly-warming bowl of Chili. If you are looking for an "authentic" chili recipe then this is probably no the one for you. However, if you are looking for an easy recipe (that you probably have the ingrediants on hand) you can throw in the crockpot and that your picky eater will actually eat..look no further. This is my fav chili recipe that I modified from an old Eastern Star recipe book called Homespun Cooking. Posting it here for safe keeping. Serve with Corn Chips or Corn Bread for a satisfying, belly-warming meal. :)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with onion powder & garlic.
- Place browned meat & the remaining ingredients (except beans) into the crockpot.
- Stir to ensure all ingredients are incorporated (mixed well).
- Cook on Low 6-10 Hours.
- Add Beans to the Chili 1/2-1 hour before the end of cooking (long enough to heat them through).
- Special Note: I have added the complete 6oz can of tomato paste (so as not to waste it) with no issues. You may want to add a bit more water if you do use the whole can. Also, I have used just kidney beans or just pintos or both (for a realy hearty chili). This is one of those recipes you can play around with and have little ill-effects.
- Also, I like to top ours with fresh grated cheddar cheese & a dollip of sour cream immediately before serving.