Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
So many nice paella-like recipes out there, but since I didn't find one listed for how we make it, ' thought I'd share. Besides the sausage and mussels, we often add any leftover meats we might have, like steak or chicken, chopped up. I don't like to waste food.
- 1 lb chicken sausage, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, for the bread
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 14 ounces stock (any kind you have)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- crusty rolls or bread
- In a large skillet cook sausage, onions, peppers and chopped garlic until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, stock, cayenne, black pepper and pepper flakes .
- Do not add the wine yet!
- Cook over medium high heat to reduce liquids.
- Toast unbuttered rolls or bread.
- Once sauce is reduced, add wine and mussels, cover and cook until shells open, about 5 minutes.
- Slice whole garlic clove in half and rub raw sides on your warm, toasted rolls.
- Serve in a big wide bowl with bread for dipping. Also great over rice.
- Although this should serve 4, my DH and I eat this all, EASILY!