So many nice paella-like recipes out there, but since I didn't find one listed for how we make it, ' thought I'd share. Besides the sausage and mussels, we often add any leftover meats we might have, like steak or chicken, chopped up. I don't like to waste food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken sausage, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, for the bread
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 14 ounces stock (any kind you have)
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- crusty rolls or bread
- 1In a large skillet cook sausage, onions, peppers and chopped garlic until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add crushed tomatoes, stock, cayenne, black pepper and pepper flakes .
- 3Do not add the wine yet!
- 4Cook over medium high heat to reduce liquids.
- 5Toast unbuttered rolls or bread.
- 6Once sauce is reduced, add wine and mussels, cover and cook until shells open, about 5 minutes.
- 7Slice whole garlic clove in half and rub raw sides on your warm, toasted rolls.
- 8Serve in a big wide bowl with bread for dipping. Also great over rice.
- 9Although this should serve 4, my DH and I eat this all, EASILY!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy, Low Fat, Mussel and Chicken- Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (736 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.3
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 199.8 mg
- Sodium 2094.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 47.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: