Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My toddler son is not a big meat eater so I make this soup at least once a week. When I add a whole grain, either when cooking or at serving, he gets a complete protein. Make sure you add vinegar (and even some more olive oil) when serving....it really makes the flavours pop!
- 2 cups green lentils or 2 cups brown lentils
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots
- 3 onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste, diluted in some water
- olive oil, up to 1/2 cup
- balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Sort through lentils.
- Finely chop carrots and onions in a food processor.
- Throw everything but the vinegar in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook for up to an hour or until lentils are soft.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with splash of vinegar.