Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Simple, quick recipe using lentils and veggies. You may look at this as more of a soup than a chili, but it's tasty either way! Add what you like, remove what you don't...it's easy to make adjustments to your taste preferences!
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 15 ounces petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 ounces low-sodium black beans, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 cup baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 -6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- olive oil
- In a large stock pot, saute onion, green pepper, celery and carrots in olive oil over medium-high heat until onions are just slightly opaque (I usually let this go until I start to see just a little browning on the bottom of the pot).
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 25-30 mins (or until lentils and vegetables are cooked to a softness of your preference).
- You may add more/less chicken stock, depending on how thick you'd like this to be. You may also add tomato sauce or tomato paste, or even another can of diced tomatoes, for more of a tomato flavor. A cup of corn is a nice addition too (add this after the 25mins of simmer time, and cook for another 10-15mins). If you like things a little spicier, add more chili powder, or a little cayenne is a nice touch.