Spicy Red Lentil Chili
This is a copycat recipe. The original is available at Wegman's. I got the basics from the 3 Fat Chicks website and modified it a little bit. Very spicy. Use your food processor to do the vegetable dicing.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red lentil
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced small
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, cored and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced green pepper
- Bring lentil and 2 cups water to boil on high heat. Turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid. Place in food processor and puree. (Or use stick blender and partially puree in the pot.).
- Melt butter in 3 quart pot. Add onions and sweat without browning about 2 minute Add celery and garlic. Sweat 5 minutes more. Add tomato and cook 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, 2 cups water and seasonings. Bring to simmer.
- Add reserved whole and pureed lentils plus liquid, and cook about 15 minutes, till lentils are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry. Bring chili to boil, add slurry and stir a minute to thicken slightly.
- Turn off heat and add green peppers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Out of this world! Even though there is no meat, nobody will miss it. The lentils make it "meaty" in texture. I used brown lentils and cut the hot sauce amount in half. While stirring in the liquids, I decided to omit 1 cup of water (just my preference) for a thicker texture. This is so great with a dallop of fat free sour cream on top. Thanx for sharing this recipe. I'll be making this often!Reply