Recipe by superbuna
Three layers of nut filling are sandwiched between four yeast dough layers. Many years ago a very elderly family friend called this a Greta Garbo torte. I like to think of it as an unrolled nut roll that resembles baklava somewhat because of its layers. Whatever it's called, it is delicious.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 whole egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter
- 1 ounce compressed yeast cake
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
For the filling
- 2⁄3 cup honey, approximately
- 1 lb finely grated walnuts
- 1 cup sugar, to taste
- 1 grated lemon, juice and rind of
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare filling first:.
- Combine grated nuts, sugar, grated lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Taste, and add more sugar if desired. Mixture should feel damp.
- Set aside.
- Place honey in squeeze bottle if you have one and if you don't have one just set honey to the side.
- Prepare dough:.
- Sift flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking soda and salt into mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter as for pie dough.
- Add egg, egg yolks, crumbled yeast and sour cream and blend well.
- Knead together well.
- Divide dough into four pieces.
- Roll between sheets of waxed paper to fit 9"x13"x2" baking pan.
- Place in greased pan.
- Now squeeze about 2 tablespoons of honey over the dough, as evenly as possible.
- Dump 1/3 of the nut mixture onto this and spread over the honey laced dough layer.
- Press down lightly with palm so nuts adhere to honey drizzled dough layer.
- Repeat with next layer.
- After nut mix is placed over third layer place last layer of dough over that.
- Put to the side to rest for one hour.
- It won't raise much.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 45 minutes. Check after 35 minutes.
- When cool cut into squares or diamond shapes.