Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A basic easy recipe with tons of flavor! Throw in coarsley sliced carrots also if desired! Make certain to use only smoked kielbasa for this.
Top Review by Chatty Patty
Hi Kittencal, We had this for dinner last night. I loved the flavor of the beer in your recipe. Next time I make this I will cut down on the butter to save some calories. Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 2 lbs smoked kielbasa, cut into about 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium head cabbage, halved then cut into about 2-inch thick wedges
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes, cut into four pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a heavy po over medium heat.
- Add in onion, sugar and salt; cook for about 14-15 minutes until golden brown (add in the garlic about the last 5 minutes and continue cooking the onion).
- Stir in beer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add in kielbasa, cabbage and potatoes; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until cabbage and potatoes are tender (about 1 hour).
- Transfer the kielbasa and potatoes to a large bowl or platter and discard remaining liquid if desired.