Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This hearty, healthy meal is quick to make with items on hand. Ground beef is cooked in a tomato sauce with kidney beans and vegetables, then mixed with macaroni. Any vegetable can be used for the corn and celery, depending on your preferences.
- 12 ounces whole wheat macaroni (or other small pasta like bowtie or rotini)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook pasta according to directions on package, reserving a little bit of pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef and cook about 5 minutes, until meat is not quite cooked through.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute about 2 minutes.
- Add celery, corn and kidney beans, cook about 2 minutes, or until corn is thawed.
- Stir in tomato paste, add diced tomatoes, italian seasoning and paprika.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Stir cooked macaroni and reserved pasta water into beef and tomato mixture and serve.
- Top with shredded cheese if desired.
This was very good. I used bowtie pasta, omitted the celery and added salt. The sauce filled my largest skillet so I had to mix it with the pasta in the pasta pot. It was good with and without the cheese. I think it would be good with cottage cheese also. I didn't care for the beans in this but that is probably personal taste. It was easy to make and it makes tons..I would say 8 plus servings...but my package of pasta was 17 oz. Made for Zaar Tag.