My MIL's easy, no fail date squares...Make an extra batch of the date jam its good on its own...over bagels or toast. If your date jam is a little thick. Add a little extra water to thin it out, until it is the consistency that you like. Becareful not to make it too thin.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Date Jam
- Combine dates, sugar, water and vanilla in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes, until mixture resembles a thick paste.
- Cool completely
- Oatmeal Layer
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, nuts and salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Reserve 2 cups of this mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into bottom of greased 9 x 9" pan.
- Spread cooled date jam over the bottom layer and sprinkle reserved oatmeal mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 25- 33 minute.
- Cool completely then cut into squares.