Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Nothing can be easier than this scrumptious dinner! It cooks unattended until the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add a salad or green vegetable for a complete meal. This recipe will work for any size roast (beef or venison), just cook larger ones a little longer and smaller ones a little less.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef roast (chuck, shoulder, arm, trimmed of fat)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope mushroom soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (approximate)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (kind you drink, not cooking sherry)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled (waxy, not baking potatoes)
- 6 large carrots, peeled, cut in half (I prefer California carrots because they are sweeter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Place roast in crock pot.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- If using mushrooms, add them now.
- Pour dry soup mix, black pepper and bouillon into 2-cup measuring cup.
- Gradually add water, stirring to mix soup (breaking up lumps) and water, adding enough water to make 1-1/2 cups.
- Add sherry until mixture reaches 2-cup mark.
- Pour liquid over and around veggies and meat.
- Cover and turn crock pot to desired temperature: LOW (8 hours) or HIGH (4-6 hours) or until roast is tender.
- During the last hour of cooking, I slide the veggies from atop the roast into the hot juices so they get additional flavor.
- To serve: Remove roast and veggies from crock pot and place on serving platter to rest.
- To make Gravy: Put 1/4 cup water in small jar.
- Add cornstarch and stir to dissolve.
- Pour cold slurry into hot crock pot and stir until gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes.
This was a really great recipe. I didn't use the mushrooms or trim the fat (which I wish I would have done in hindsight) so I couldn't make the gravy because of the amount of fat that came from the roast. I used a chuck roast and it got so tender that it just fell apart and I couldn't lift it out of the crock pot. The flavors were great! My SO said this is one of the best roasts that I have ever made. Thanks for posting!
delicious- beef roast is one of my fav's! (I didn't use the sherry, bouillon or mushrooms) turned out great! Thanks BeachGirl!
I made this recipe for supper this evening, Beachgirl and it was tender and very flavorful! I didn't add the sherry (for personal preference) and instead added the same amount in additional water. I left out the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. The steps did not include when to add the pepper and the beef bouillion, so I added it with the roast and not with the gravy mix. The roast was very, very tender - and that is exactly what you want from a great pot roast!! Thanks, Beachgirl for sharing this recipe!!