Recipe by AndreaVT96
This is a delicious lower fat, lower calorie baked french fry--evidently soaking the potatoes in the salt-sugar solution draws out some of their water. This way they brown and crisp instead of steam. So yummy! (to me, these taste like the fry-daddy type french fries my mom made me when I was a kid!) My non-dieter husband also deemed these delicious. 159 calories/5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol/28 g. carbs/3 g fiber Weight Watchers Points per serving: 3 This came from a WW book, but I'm not sure which one.
Top Review by Bergy
Love oven fries and this recipe is no exception. I did not use any oil - just soaked the cut potatoes in the water with the bit of sugar. Drained off the water lightly dried them in between paper towels then sprinkled them with hot paprika no salt. Delish. Make again recipe
- 1 1⁄4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a non-stick baking sheet w/ non-stick cooking spray.
- In a lg. bowl, combine potatoes, 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and all of sugar w/ cold water to cover. Soak 15 min, drain and blot dry.
- In another lg. bowl, toss potatoes w/ oil and paprika. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake, turning potatoes over as they brown, until cooked through and crisp. (Could take anywhere from 25-45 min., depending on how you cut your potatoes and your oven. My fries only took about 25 minute I checked on my potatoes and turned them about every 5 minute or so. You will see them browning and hear them sizzling.) Sprinkle w/ the remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt.